The Polk County Library offers a wide variety of books, periodicals, and audio visual materials to check-out. Below are some guidelines for borrowing materials.
- Total Checkout Limit: 25 Items per card.
- All library transactions require your library card.
- There are three ways to renew items.
- Lost or stolen library cards should be reported to the library immediately.
- Lost or stolen library cards can be replaced by showing photo I.D. at the circulation desk. Replacement fee is $3.
- Lost or stolen minor’s cards can be replaced by showing the library card of responsible parent/legal guardian. Replacement fee is $3.
New Releases & High Demand Items
- 7-day checkout
- Fine Amount: $1 per day
- 1 renewal may be allowed if item is not on reserve.
Books, Audio Books, CDs, & Magazines
- 3 Week Checkout
- Fine Amount: $0.15 per day
- 2 Renewals if item is not on reserve.
DVD, BluRay, & Games
- 7-day checkout
- Checkout Limits:
- 5 DVDs or BluRay discs (count toward 25 item total)
- 2 video games (count toward 25 item total)
- Fine Amount: $0.25 per day
- 2 renewals allowed if not on reserve
Applying for a Library Card
Adults (18 Years of Age and Older)
- Have a Photo ID
- Driver’s License
- State ID
- Student ID
- Current Proof of Address
- Recently cancelled piece of mail that shows name and street address.
- P.O. Box cannot be used to prove residency.
- Voter Registration
- County Tax Receipt
- Hunting or Fishing License
- Recently cancelled piece of mail that shows name and street address.
Applicant is responsible for knowledge of Library Use Policies
Children (17 Years and Younger)
- Must be five years old to have own card.
- Parent or Legal Guardian must have a library card in good standing.
- Parent or Legal Guardian must sign as being responsible for all items on child’s card.
- Parent or Legal Guardian must sign to give child computer use privileges.
Parent or legal guardian is responsible for educating the child of Library Use Policies
Educator Cards are available to teachers in Polk County School Districts. These cards are meant to supplement the teacher’s classroom resources without requiring them to use their personal library cards. Obtaining an Educator Card requires a photo I.D. and current proof of employment. Please view the Educator Card Policy for full information.
Non-Residents (residing outside of Polk County) can obtain a Polk County Library card by showing a current photo I.D. and paying the $15 non-resident fee. This fee is in lieu of the Polk County library tax and is due annually in order to renew the library card. Non-Resident cards are issued one per family and are allowed the same number of check-outs as listed above in the Check-Out Information. The patron who signs for the card is also allowed use of patron internet computers.
The Polk County Library holds a reciprocal lending agreement with Southwest Baptist University (SBU) that allows current SBU students, regardless of their permanent home address, to obtain a free library card by showing their current SBU student I.D. card and photo I.D. Student cards allow the same number of check-outs as listed above in the Check-Out Information and can be renewed annually as long as the student attends SBU.
Common Library Policies
- Library Card is required to checkout items.
- Must use your own Library Card to access computers.
- Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Headsets will not be provided, patrons must supply their own.
Patrons with current library cards can view their library card account via the Polk County Library Catalog webpage. Your account allows you to view the items you have checked-out, reserve items, and renew items as long as they are not yet overdue or on reserve for someone else. To access your account, visit the catalog page and click on the My Account button located at the top, right. You will need to use your eight-digit library card number and follow the log-in instructions for PIN or password depending on whether you are a first time visitor. After logging-on, users may go to the Account Preferences tab and create a unique account password. Please contact the library if you require assistance logging-in to your account.
- Black/white single-side print or copy = $0.15
- Black/white double-side print or copy = $0.25
- Color single-side print or copy = $0.25
- Color double-sided print or copy = $0.40
- Copies/prints that are left behind will be destroyed after 3 business days.
- $2.00 for 1st page + $0.50 each additional page + $0.15 for confirmation page
- Toll free fax numbers are charged $0.15 for confirmation page only.
- The library can receive faxes for patrons at 417-326-4366.
- $0.15 per page, including confirmation page
- Library staff are not responsible for contacting patrons about received faxes.
- Patrons are responsible for picking up faxes that they are expecting.
- Faxes not picked-up within 10 business days of receipt will be destroyed.
Computers for Kids
The Bolivar Main Library offers computers and tablets that do not have internet access. Instead, they offer fun and educational games for children to enjoy. There are two computers in the Bolivar Children’s Area that are first come/first serve access and do not require logging-on with a library card. There are also several tablets with early literacy apps and games for use inside the library. The tablets have a two-hour per day use limit and must be checked-out on a library card. Please be aware that patrons must provide their own headphones/earbuds for computer use. The library often has earbuds to purchase for $2.00 a pair. Please visit the circulation desk to check-out a children’s tablet or inquire about purchasing earbuds.
Meeting Room Reservations
Rooms are available to reserve during normal Library hours and when Library programs are not already scheduled in those rooms. Rooms at the Bolivar Library include the Conference Room, the McDaniel Meeting Room and the Watkins Room. There are also meeting rooms available at the Fair Play Branch and Morrisville Branch. All rooms incur a $5 use fee per meeting. The McDaniel Room includes a kitchenette and may be reserved for events such as receptions and birthday parties. Event reservations in the McDaniel Room incur a $30 fee which includes a $25 refundable cleaning deposit and a $5 non-refundable use fee. The cleaning deposit will be refunded after library staff have inspected the room and determined it has been left clean and undamaged. Equipment such as screens, monitors, and digital projectors can also be reserved for meetings free of charge.
Please contact your Branch Library for specific information about meeting rooms and scheduling information. Be sure to let us know if you require equipment and also consider set-up and take-down time when requesting your reservation. We ask that you contact staff at the circulation desk and let them know when you’re leaving the room and how many were in attendance. Room usage statistics are helpful to us for future planning purposes.
The Polk County Library provides test proctoring services under the following guidelines:
The library designates supervisory/administrative staff as proctors. Proctors are typically available only at the Bolivar Main Library but are available during most library business hours.
Students must schedule exams in advance to make sure a proctor will be available. Advance scheduling also gives the instructor sufficient time to send exam information to the proctor. We advise scheduling your exam at least 7 to 10 business days before you need to take the exam. The Library cannot proctor exams that have not been scheduled in advance.
Most schools require students to obtain a proctor form from their instructor and fill out the proctor’s contact information before returning the form back to the instructor. The instructor then fills out the remainder of the form and returns it directly to the proctor, thus providing the proctor with necessary exam instructions. Students are responsible for knowing the proctoring requirements for their classes. It is not the responsibility of the proctor to contact instructors when proctor forms or written exams are not received in time for the scheduled test date.
On-line exams may be taken on the Library’s internet computers. This will require a current Polk County Library card or willingness to purchase a guest pass. Completed written exams generally must be scanned and emailed or faxed back to the instructor and returned via USPS.
The following fees may apply. The Library does not take debit/credit cards.
- Internet Access with a current library card: Free
- Internet Access with a guest pass: $2.00 ($1.00 per hour, on-line exams are typically allowed 2 hours)
- Fax: $2.00 first page + $0.50 each additional page + $0.15 confirmation page
- Toll-free Fax: $0.15 confirmation page
- Scans: $2.00 (per test, not per page)
- Postage: $1.50-$2.00 (postage + envelope)
- Copies: $0.15 per page b/w, $0.25 per page color
You will need to bring your current photo I.D., cash for any applicable fees, pencils and calculator as necessary.
Please note that the Library cannot guarantee quiet test taking conditions.
Print The Student’s Proctoring Check List to help make the process a little easier and good luck!